Seitz Filter sheets have a long-lasting tradition of more than 130 years on the market of depth filtration and play a key role within the Pall Depth Filter portfolio. The invention of Seitz filter sheets at the beginning of the 19th century and the market introduction of the Seitz-EK by Theobald Friedrich and Georg Seitz can be regarded as a milestone in beverage production. Back then, the use of Seitz-EK filter sheets allowed for the first time the "cold-sterile" bottling of beverages without the necessity of heat treatment and without noteworthy quality losses. Obviously, this invention can be considered as one of the most important pioneering achievements for the beverage industry.
What are Depth Filter Sheets?
What are Depth Filter Sheets?
Depth filter sheets are made of cellulose fibers, kieselguhr and perlite. They use surface filtration, depth filtration and adsorbtion as main filtration mechanisms. Both the used materials and the 3 filtration mechanisms provide key benefits to all processes in the F&B industry:
- high particle load capacity => high colloidal removal capability
- easy handling => flexible operation using broad range of filter types
- low OPEX => unique turbidity removal and polishing effect provides bright filtrates
- very often unique option to filter critical products where other filters fail => removal of Microbial spoilage organisms
Classical DE Sheet Media
Seitz BS Series Depth Filter Sheets
- The high stability of BS series filter sheets enables long production runs and fulfills the specific requirements of the brewing industry. BS series filter sheets are available in multiple grades suitable
- for polishing and microbial reduction applications within breweries.
- Developed to meet the production needs and requirements of the fruit juice industry and associated applications requiring TAB spores control.
Seitz HS Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Developed to meet the production needs and requirements of the food and beverage industry for various products such as beer, gelatin or enzymes.The high stability of Seitz HS sheets enables long production runs of aqueous and higher viscous fluids at low and high temperatures.
Seitz HR Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Beyond cellulose, kieselguhr, and perlite, filter sheets of the Seitz HR-series contain up to 40% of polyolefin fibrids, specially selected for best possible filtration results. These filter sheets are characterised by an increased chemical and mechanical stability. They are particularly suitable for the filtration of aggressive media. An outstanding property of the HR-sheets is their high resistance to cellulose-degrading enzymes.
Seitz T Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Designed for coarse filtration. They are characterized by a coarse pore structure and combine high throughput with a high particle holding capacity. The filtration resistance is low so that they prove to be very successful for the filtration of viscous media and for the retention of gel particles or coarse disperse components.
Seitz IR Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Undergo a proprietary treatment that results in extremely low levels of extractable ions making them the ideal solution for distilled spirits applications. A visually bright finished product free from visible particles is one of the main objectives of spirits filtration. Components (C12-16) fatty acid esters, terpenes, proteins or their complex compounds with metals and/or phenols) of some spirits may precipitate if calcium ion levels are too high. Magnesium may also cause precipitations in tannin containing spirits like whisky and brandy. Standard filter sheets contain small quantities of these extractable ions from the raw materials.
Pure Cellulose Sheet Media
Seitz ZD Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Consist of highly fibrillated pure cellulose fibers and are produced without the use of any inorganic material such as DE or Perlite. Seitz ZD filter sheets are available in multiple grades suitable for microbial reduction as well as fine and clarifying filtration.
Seitz PERMAdur S
- Stable, reusable filter for precoat filtration in plate and frame presses. After filtration, the plate and frame is opened, and the filter cake removed, leaving the PERMAdur S filter sheet ready for the next run.
- Made of high-quality cellulose as well as polyolefin fibres. This material mix increases the stability of the support sheets and qualifies those sheets for processes, where high performance and lifetime is the key target.
- Made of high-quality cellulose fibers. They offer excellent wet strength and high performance for processes where DE precoat filtration is used.
Activated Carbon Sheet Media
Seitz AKS4 Series Depth Filter Sheets
- Developed to satisfy general purpose carbon adsorption applications in the food and beverage industry. Powdered activated carbon (PAC) is widely used in the food and beverage industry for adsorption applications. The use of bulk PAC has significant drawbacks relating to the handling of bulk carbon powder, cleaning of the process equipment, as well as time and costs associated with carbon removal from the process. Seitz AKS immobilized carbon filter media alleviates these concerns by incorporating activated carbon within a matrix of cellulosic fibers. This immobilized carbon media can be coupled with a downstream protective filter paper to prevent any possible carbon particle shedding downstream of the filter. Additionally, the adsorption efficiency of Seitz AKS immobilized carbon filter media is greater than an equivalent amount of bulk powdered activated carbon (PAC), reducing overall process time and increasing product yield. Seitz AKS 4 sheets are successfully used on all processes where color removal or adjustment or off odor removal is targeted.